Just a quick, easy, light vegetarian savoury cake (sorry not so beautiful maybe). Made of vegetables and cheese layers. It’s perfect for when you don’t really feel like cooking and have veggies leftovers in the fridge. No need to say, terrific for autumn/winter times.
We left for a couple of weeks to go to visit our family and friends in Italy (yay!). So, what do you do when you leave for more than a couple of days? Clearly, you need to clean up anything left in the fridge. I came up with this quick, easy and light (as we did eat so much while in Italy) veggies cake. Made of pumpkin, caramelized onions and potatoes, all layered up with some cheese. The pomegranate seeds were the real surprise: crunchy, acidic and sweet at the same time. Definitely highly recommended!
“I know the pleasure of pulling up root vegetables. They are solvable mysteries.”Novella Carpenter
Caramelized Onions, Pumpkin, and Potato Cake
- 22 cm Round Cake Mold
- frying pan
- 400 gr Pumpkin
- 200 gr Potatoes
- 150 gr Mozzarella
- to taste Salt, Pepper and Rosemary
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
For the Caramelized Onions
- 1 big Red Onion
- 1/2 Pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
- to taste Sugar and Pepper
- Wash the potatoes and cut them into tiny slices (3-4 mm). Peel the pumpkin and do the same. Warm up some olive oil in a frying pan and cook slightly the potatoes for 5-10 minutes, they do not need to be too tender. Put everything aside.
- Peel the onion and cut it into tiny slices. Remove the seeds from the grapefruit and put aside. Warm up some olive oil in the same frying pan and cook the sliced onion. after 5 minutes, add the pomegranate seeds, keeping some aside for the decoration. Stir and add the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and salt. Cook until tender.
- Line up the cake mold with some baking paper. Add some breadcrumbs at the bottom if you wish, it would give it a crunchy texture. Start forming up the cake by making layers of pumpkin, potatoes, onions and cheese. Remember to season every layer. I managed to make three layers like this.
- Decorate the top of the cake with some rosemary and pomegranate seeds, season with salt pepper and a drop of olive oil, and bake at 200C covered with foil for 20 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes. Let it rest for 10- 15 minutes and enjoy.
I do have a scientific mind, probably it’s the reason why I love to hide in the kitchen and start creating.
My cooking is healthy, fun and colorful… and really tasty!
What are you waiting for? Grab your apron and start creating with me!