It’s asparagus season! I usually boil or steam this delicious vegetable, but I decided to prepare this unusual brunch, breading the asparagus and pairing it with a poached egg and some tempeh. A balanced meal full of proteins and vitamins.
I believe asparagus are just delicious. I love to pair this vegetable with some eggs, as my dad used to eat these simply with some hard boiled eggs, salt, pepper and olive oil. Delicious, believe me! This vegetable is just so versatile, perfect in a risotto or a frittata as well.
Asparagus season means summer is almost here. And I can’t wait for a bit of sun and warm weather. And to try out some new summer dishes! I have so many ideas already!
“I look forward to the spring vegetables because the season is so short. Mushrooms, edible foraged herbs, wild leeks, early season asparagus.”David Chang#
Crispy Asparagus with Poached Egg and Tempeh “My Way”
- pot with boiling water
- oven tray
- 300 gr Asparagus
- 2 Eggs for breading the Asparagus
- 50 gr Breadcrumbs
- 20 gr Grated Parmesan
- to taste Smoked Paprika
- 2 Eggs to poach
- 200 gr Tempeh
- 1 small Carrot
- 1 Scallion
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Mirin
- to taste Salt and Pepper
- as required Olive Oil
- 1/2 Lemon
- First of all, cut the Tempeh into cubes and let it marinate on a sauce made with Soy Sauce and Mirin and leave aside. Then boil the asparagus for 2 min. Immediately drain and shock in an ice water bath to stop the cooking process.
- Preheat oven at 200 C. Mix together breadcrumbs, grated parmesan and paprika. Slightly beat two eggs on a clean plate. Dip the asparagus into eggs, then dredge in Panko mixture, pressing to coat.
- Place asparagus in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet, spray some olive olive and season with salt and pepper. Place into oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- While the asparagus start baking, prepare the tempeh, placing the marinated squares on a balking tray, with some breaded carrots and finely cut scallions. Spray some olive oil and bake for 6-7 minutes.
- Poach the eggs and serve, preparing a layer of asparagus and placing the poached egg on top, the tempeh on a side. Enjoy warm with some fresh lemon juice!
I do have a scientific mind, probably it’s the reason why I love to hide in the kitchen and start creating.
My cooking is healthy, fun and colorful… and really tasty!
What are you waiting for? Grab your apron and start creating with me!