Have you ever heard of Italian Easter Pie? It’s a pie we usually bake during Easter, filled with ricotta, spinach and egg. However, it’s so good anytime of the year as well!
Usually you make this pie with puff pastry, I know. I decided to use some sourdough discards, to make it fluffier. The filling is really traditional: spinach, ricotta and egg. Try to use some mozzarella if you want that cheesy sprint!
It has been four years since I spent my last Easter holiday with my parents. That’s so odd. However, the really important and fun day in Italy is Easter Monday. You usually go with friends for walks and picnics and it’s just so much fun. We usually say “Natale con in tuoi e Pasqua con chi vuoi” (You should spend Christmas with you relatives and Easter with whoever you prefer) but I guess it’s more for Easter Monday than Easter itself.
“I still believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and true love. Don’t even try to tell me different.”Dolly Parton
Sourdough Mini Easter Pies
- frying pan
- electric blender
- oven tray
- 150 gr Sourdough Discard
- 250 gr Strong Bread Flour
- 130 gr Water
- 60 gr Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
For the Filling
- 8 Eggs
- 600 gr Spinach
- 250 gr Ricotta
- as required Salt and Pepper
- to taste Nutmeg
- Mix together all the dough ingredients, knead on a floured surface and leave it to rise for 1 hour. Divide the dough into 8 balls (should be 80gr each) and leave it to rest another hour.
- In the meantime, cook the spinach on a frying pan, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and blend them. Let them cool, then add the ricotta and mix all together.
- Roll out a dough ball, cut the edges and fill it with the spinach-ricotta mixture. make a hole in the middle and break the egg in. Use a breakfast bowl to help you not spilling the egg. Also, pour the yolk only in case the egg is too big, and keep the white aside.
- Close the edges of the dough and repeat for all the dough balls. Place them on a oven tray lined with baking sheet. Let them rest half an hour.
- Heat up the oven at 200C. Make a mixture with the egg white leftovers (in case there's any), oil and turmeric and brush it on top of the pies. Bake for 40 min.
I do have a scientific mind, probably it’s the reason why I love to hide in the kitchen and start creating.
My cooking is healthy, fun and colorful… and really tasty!
What are you waiting for? Grab your apron and start creating with me!