I have been looking for these Squid Ink Spaghetti for ages and I finally managed to find them. Love at first sight. Try them on this easy-peasy saffron sauce and pistachio pesto, you won’t be disappointed.
As soon as the lockdown rules have been lifted, I managed to see some friends who moved to Edinburgh in September, and we decided to go to St. Andrews. I know where to go everytime I visit the small city: to the Italian shop for the most amazing cannoli you can find around here. This time, I did not stop there, as I saw these spaghetti and I knew I had to get them.
I decided to pair them with this dense, tasty, easy and quick saffron sauce and some pistachio pesto. The result was amazing. Creamy, crunchy, colorful and mouthwatering. Plus, summer decided was time to get to Scotland and it’s nice having the sun both in your plate and in the sky.
“Spaghetti can be eaten most successfully if you inhale it like a vacuum cleaner.”Sophia Loren
Squid Ink Spaghetti with Saffron and Pistachio Pesto
- sauce pan
- Electric Food Chopper
- Pot with Salted Boiling Water
- 150-180 gr Squid Ink Spaghetti
For the Saffron Sauce
- 100 gr Cream Cheese
- 5 gr Saffron
- 1 Tomato
For the Pistachio Pesto
- 1/2 cup Pistachios
- as required Avocado or Pistachio Oil
- 20 gr Pecorino or Parmesan
- 4-5 leaves Basil
- to taste Ground Pepper
- Make the Pistachio pesto by grinding all the ingredients together in an electric blender. Leave aside.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water for as long as written on the box (mine required 6-7 min) and prepare the Saffron Sauce in the meantime.
- In a sauce pan, pour a couple of spoons of pasta water, the cream cheese and saffron. Cook at medium heat until you get a smooth sauce. Cut the tomato in half and remove the internal seeds and water. Chop it.
- When ready, drain the pasta and pour it into the saffron sauce, adding the chopped tomato. Plate the pasta and add some pistachio pesto on top.
I do have a scientific mind, probably it’s the reason why I love to hide in the kitchen and start creating.
My cooking is healthy, fun and colorful… and really tasty!
What are you waiting for? Grab your apron and start creating with me!