I know it might sound crazy, but as coffee and pistachio go well with tiramisu, they perfectly pair for some savoury breadsticks. tasty and crunchy, exactly what you need with a beer (or two). Are you ready for the perfect appetizer? Take your sourdough out of the kitchen and start kneading.
Summer got us suddenly, coming from a country with no more than a week of “summer” a year, we are struggling with weeks’ at 30C. I love this temperature, of course, and I love having drinks at home, on the balcony these days. Thus, when my best friend came to visit, I decided to prepare a perfect aperitivo, with these breadsticks and some sweet potatoes and pistachio hummus. Let me say, it was a hit! I love when my random ideas work out so well!
“If drumsticks are for playing drums, you would think that breadsticks would be for playing bread, wouldn’t you? ‘Would you like some breadsticks?’ ‘No, thank you, I don’t play bread. I play drums. Perhaps I’ll have a drum roll.’ “George Carlin
The Perfect Appetizer: Coffee and Pistachio Sourdough Breadsticks with Sweet Potatoes and Pistachio Hummus
- Rolling Pin
- baking tray
- Electric Food Chopper
- 100 gr Soursough Discards
- 150 gr Strong Bread Flour
- 100 gr Semolina Flour
- 60 gr Espresso Coffee Cold
- 1 tsp Ground Coffee
- 25 gr Olive Oil
- 60 ml Water
- 30 gr Pistachio, Chopped
- 5 gr Salt
For the Sweet Potatoes and Pistachio Hummus
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 15 gr Pistachios
- 1/2 Spring Onion
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Tahini optional
- 1 tsp Salt
- to taste Chili Flakes
- Dissolve the sourdough discard in water, add olive oil and the liquid coffee. Slowly add the flour, mixing until smooth. Lastly, add the ground coffee. Let it rest for 30 min.
- Add the salt and knead for about 5 minutes. Then add the pistachios and knead well, until well mxed in the dough. Let it rest for 1h 30 minutes.
- Warm up the oven at 200C. Roll out the dough to about 0.5 cm thickness, and cut out the bradsticks, by cutting out 1cm stripes. Place on a rolling pin and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden.
For the Sweet Potatoes and Pistachio Hummmus
- Chop the sweet potato and boil for about 20 minutes, until tender. The times varies depending on how big are the potatoes chunks.
- Peel the potatoes and let the cool, chop the pistachios and add everything to the electric food chopper. Add all the other ingredients and mix well, until smooth.
- Serve with the breadsticks and cold beer (just saying).
I do have a scientific mind, probably it’s the reason why I love to hide in the kitchen and start creating.
My cooking is healthy, fun and colorful… and really tasty!
What are you waiting for? Grab your apron and start creating with me!