Have you ever tried making your own Colesaw? It only takes 10/15 min, you can add any vegetable you like AND you can make it vegan in no time.
Long story short: I was craving some Beetroot hummus for some reason. I couldn’t find any beets in the frindge, even if I was sure I bought some. I dodn’t give up and decided to get all the vegetables in the fridge to make this russian salad (at least that’s how we call it in Italy).
The result was very tasty BUT I highly recommend to add Peas and some mint. I really think that makes the difference and gives a very special flavour to the whole preparation. This dish just reminds me of something I really miss: summer! I’m going to enjoy some warm weather soon, hopefully!
P.S. I did have beets. My husband put the grocery back when I bought them and hid them from me. such a shame!
“In life, one is entitled to a side dish of either coleslaw or potato salad, and the choice must be made in terror, with the knowledge that not only is our time on earth limited but most kitchens close at ten.”Woody Allen
Vegan Colesaw my Way – Russian Salad
- Electric Immersion blender
- Pot with Salted Boiling Water
- Chopping Board
- 3 Carrots
- 4 Celery Stalks
- 10-20 Radishes
- 100 gr Peas I haven't used peas, but highly recommended
For the Vegan Mayo
- 100 gr Almond Milk
- 150 gr Olive Oil
- 1/2 Lemon Juice
- to taste Salt
- to taste Hot Paprika and Turmeric I used Beets Powder for the Pink Mayo
- Chop the vegetables into small squares (not the peas) and boil in salted water for about 10 min.
- In the meantime, prepare the vegan mayo. With an electric blender, mix together the milk, salt and lemon juice. Add the oil slowly, until the mixture gets very dense, like normal mayo. Add more oil if necessary i.e. the mayo is too liquid,
- In case you want to dye the mayo, divide it into two. add some turmeric powder and paprika in one half, and the beets powder in the other half.
- Drain the vegetables. Dry them with some kitchen towel (VERY IPORTANT: DRY THEM WELL) and mix with the mayo. Enjoy!
I do have a scientific mind, probably it’s the reason why I love to hide in the kitchen and start creating.
My cooking is healthy, fun and colorful… and really tasty!
What are you waiting for? Grab your apron and start creating with me!