January is always a very weird period. After the holidays and Christmas parties, most of the people (me included) just want to eat healthier, and often vegan, as it’s Veganuary. Nevertheless, sometimes, you really feel like needing a great brunch, healthy and vegan in this case, of course. Well, these vegan fried eggs are so quick and similar to real eggs that won’t make you regret the vegan choice.
Making this eggs is unbelievably easy . The ingredients are simply pumpkin puree and tofu. And I find them so cute. the taste, of course, is slightly different compared to real eggs. Nevertheless, both the nutritional properties and consistency are very similar to the real one. One tip: be careful when taking them out of the pan as they might break. Patience is key!
“I am grateful to realize that my desires do not entitle me to add to another’s suffering.”Zoe Weil
Vegan Fried Egg on Sweet Potato Toast
- frying pan
- baking tray
For the Yolk
- 120 gr Pumpkin Puree
- 2 tbsp Flour or Cornstarch
- 10 tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Turmeric optional, for the colour
For the White
- 225 gr Silken Tofu
- 3 tbsp Vegan Single Cream or Coconut Cream
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 3 tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- as required Olive or Avocado Oil for cooking
For the Potatoes
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes
- as required Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- Warm up the oven at 200C, cut the potatoes into slices and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spray with oil and bake for 15-20 min.
- In the meantime, start making the Yolk. Warm up 2 tbsp of water with the flour. Once you get an homogeneous mixture, add the pumpkin puree, the rest of the water and salt. Mix until dense but not too tick. Put aside to cool.
- Mix all the egg white ingredients with an electric blender. Put aside.
- Warm up some olive or avocado oil in a frying pan and start pouring the whites, making a white egg shape and let them fry for 2-3 minutes. With a spoon, take some pumpkin puree and put it on top to create the yolk. Let it cook for 5 minutes, until the white gets solid. Do not add too much yolk, or the egg will break once you take it up.
- Repeat until you finish the white. I served the eggs with some veggies, and mashed avocado on top of the sweet potato.
I do have a scientific mind, probably it’s the reason why I love to hide in the kitchen and start creating.
My cooking is healthy, fun and colorful… and really tasty!
What are you waiting for? Grab your apron and start creating with me!