Mapo tofu is one of the most popular classic Sichuan dishes. Its spicy, pungent, and tempting flavor goes perfectly with steamed rice. This is a vegan version of the traditional dish, but still encloses the penetrating tang of the original dish.
I am deeply grateful to my Taiwanese ex-colleague that made me discover this amazing dish. I love Chinese food, especially hen it’s so easy to reproduce in your own home the same dish you ate at the restaurant. You could add more Chillies if you prefer it spicier, or some greens for making it a complete meal.
I adapted slightly the original recipe as I couldn’t find all the traditional ingredients, and I used some Meatlessfarm mince to make it vegan. You could use lentils or mushrooms for creating another delicious vegan version. I decided to pair it with some rice and roasted vegetables, and it was an amazing dinner. I ate it for lunch at work the very next day, and I have to say it was even more delicious!
“The mind is like tofu. By itself, it has no taste. Everything depends on the flavor of the marinade it steeps in.”Zalman Schachter-Shalomi
Vegan Mapo Tofu
- Big Sauce Pan or Wok
- 400 gr Meatless Mince
- 250 gr Soft Tofu
- 200 ml Vegetable Stock
- 2-3 Spring Onions
- 2 cm Ginger Root
- 1-2 Small Chillies
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
For the Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Mirin (White Rice Vinegar)
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- Chop spring onions, chili and ginger and fry them in a wok with some sesame oil until browned.
- Add the vegan mince and stir for about 5-10 min. Mix together the sauce and add it to the wok.
- Add the stock, covering everything and let in cook for about 10 min. Add the tofu cut into cubes and let it cook for other 5-10 minutes.
- Mix the starch with some hot water (50-80 ml should be enough) and add it to the wok, for thickening the sauce. Stir occasionally and garnish with some fresh spring onions before serving.
I do have a scientific mind, probably it’s the reason why I love to hide in the kitchen and start creating.
My cooking is healthy, fun and colorful… and really tasty!
What are you waiting for? Grab your apron and start creating with me!