You know how much I love trying new recipes, especially when the results looks so cute. Thus, I could not stop myself from trying this Wool Roll Bread who became so viral on the internet. Of course, creating my own version.
I decided to go with a savoury bread and with a double-coloured dough. The tofu and pesto mixture I used as a filling recently became a new obsession. It’s so quick and tasty it immediately went up to my top sauces and fillings. Try it our, you won’t be disapointed.
This bread come out super fluffy and cute. Also, watch out my video underneath to see how to shape it properly. I will definitely try the sweet version soon. I definitely understand why people got so into this.
“For less than the cost of a Big Mac, fries and a Coke, you can buy a loaf of fresh bread and some good cheese or roast beef, which you will enjoy much more.”Steve Albini
Vegan Savoury Wool Roll Bread – Sourdough
- kitchen robot (optional)
- 20 cm Cake Tin
- 100 gr Sourdough Starter recently fed (4-5 hrs earlier)
- 320 gr Flour I used 1/2 Very Strong and 1/3 Strong Bread Flour
- 50 gr Sugar
- 100 gr Vegan alternative Cream
- 80 ml Milk I used Coconut
- 70 gr Olive Oil
- 10 gr Salt
- 1 tsp Purple Carrot Powder (for the purple dough)
- 1 tsp Activated Charcoal Powder (for the black dough)
For the Filling
- 100 gr Vegan Feta
- 1 tsp Pesto Dried Basil
- as required Dried Vegetables
- Place everything except for the oil and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix using the dough hook. Add 1-2 tbsp of milk or water in case the dough results too dry. Divide the dough into two and work it separately, adding the purple powder to half and the charcoal powder to the other. Work them separately from now on.
- Once everything is smooth, slowly add the olive oil, one tbsp at the time. Let then dough rest for 30-40 min and add the salt. Scrape the bowl and keep mixing until every thing comes together. Knead for about a minute or two until a dough is developed.
- Leave to rest for about 15-20 minutes. Then take the dough out and use slap and fold to form two smooth dough balls.
- Let the dough proof for 5-6 hours at room temperature. Put it in the fridge in case you want to leave it overnight.
- Once bulked, divide each dough into 5 pieces. Work into balls and let them rest for 15-20 min.
- Prepare a baking pan by lining the bottom with a parchment. Make the filling if you are using, by mixing the vegan feta and pesto together.
- Take each dough piece and shape in to a wool roll. Check the video below to see how to do it.
- Once done, place on the prepared pan, cover and leave in a warm area to proofed or until doubled in size. The dough will fill the tin. This may take 4-5 hours at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Brush the proofed bread with milk and place in the preheated oven. Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Leave in the pan to cool slightly and then, demold and place the bread on a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
I do have a scientific mind, probably it’s the reason why I love to hide in the kitchen and start creating.
My cooking is healthy, fun and colorful… and really tasty!
What are you waiting for? Grab your apron and start creating with me!