Crostata is the the go-to birthday cake my mum used to bake. And I guess many other Italian mums together with her. As Italian homemade birthday cake it is probably second to just the mars bar rice crispy cake. But this was my favorite.
Crostata is usually made with shortcrust and a layer of jam, but I decided to add my Vegan Pastry Cream on top, and the result was just delicious. Also, I used the Vegan Shortcrust Pastry to make both the decorations on top and some extra cookies which came out delicious.
It is really quick and the result astonishing. My mum even asked the recipe! I decided to add some gin at the cream, very last minute decision, to get a kind of Zabaione. I strongly suggest to do the same. The result was incredible!
P.S. it’s so good for breakfast as well!
“Cut my pie into four pieces, I don’t think I could eat eight.”Yogi Berra
Vegan Italian Crostata
- sauce pan
- Cake Tray
- 1 Shortcrust Pastry see my Vegan Shortcrust Pastry Recipe
- 1 Vegan Pastry Cream see my Vegan Pastry Cream Recipe
- 1/2 jar Favourite Jam / Marmalade
- Mix the ingredients for the dough and make the pastry cream. Pre-heat the oven at 180C.
- Lightly flour your rolling surface and the sough and roll it out. Use the pie pan to measure and cut out the dough in a right-sized pie crust. Lay the pastry over the pie pan, layered with baking paper, tucking in the sides until it fits evenly. Keep the dough leftovers for the decorations.
- Prick the dough with the tongs of a fork, then spread the pastry shell with the jam and with the cream afterwards. With the extra dough make strips to create a lattice finish.
- Brush top lightly with milk and bake in pre heated oven at 180° for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Let cool then slice, enjoy!
I do have a scientific mind, probably it’s the reason why I love to hide in the kitchen and start creating.
My cooking is healthy, fun and colorful… and really tasty!
What are you waiting for? Grab your apron and start creating with me!