Have I said already this is picnic season? These Filo Nests are just perfect for the park. I used Tofu, Dried tomatoes and Mushrooms as a filling, but you could just get creative and sub the veggies with anything you like!
We are finally allowed to go out at the pub for beers. At the park and meet friends. And, of course, it’s raining all day during the weekend. I decided to improvise a quick and easy picnic just for the two of us, pretending to be at the park with some bright sun on our faces.
I don’t like complaining. What I can say is that these nests will make you feel like you’re at the park, enjoying the sun. Ans, as usual, you could get creative! This is what I had in the fridge, but you could substitute the tofu with some eggs (in case you’re not vegan) and the veggies with anything you prefer. The filo makes the whole thing crunchy and appetizing.
“If the rain spoils our picnic, but saves a farmer’s crop, who are we to say it shouldn’t rain?”Tom Barrett
Vegan Tofu Filo Nests
- Muffins Tray
- frying pan
- Chopping Board
- 4 Filo Sheets
- 150 gr Smooth Tofu
- 300 gr Mixed Mushrooms
- 4-5 leaves Basil 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 4-5 Dried Tomatoes
- to taste Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- as required Olive Oil
- Chop the mushroom and pan-fry them for about 20-25 min. In the meantime, chop the dried tomatoes and mash the tofu.
- Line the filo sheets one on top og the other, moist them with some Olive Oil mixed with water and cut into squares. Mix together the mishrooms, dried tomatoes, tofu, turmeric, diced basil and season.
- Warm up the oven at 180C. Line the muffin tray with some baking sheet or reusable muffin cases and place the filo pastry square on them. Fill these with the tofu mixture, In case of some tofu batter leftovers, just bake these without filo pastry.
- Bake for 15-20 min, until golden. Enjoy!
I do have a scientific mind, probably it’s the reason why I love to hide in the kitchen and start creating.
My cooking is healthy, fun and colorful… and really tasty!
What are you waiting for? Grab your apron and start creating with me!